Chootsim's

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chootsim's

Horse Racing Punters Guide

DUBAI WORLD CUP>

chootsim

DUBAI WORLD CUP> Empty DUBAI WORLD CUP>

Post by chootsim Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 am

DUBAI WORLD CUP this weekend.
    Singapore Turf club will be taking the biggest race in the world and the betting will close in the afternoon. the race is Midnight Sunday. Some guides to the contenders.

The connections ofCup contenders report their big hopes in great form ahead of the US$6m showdown on March 28.

Likely favourite Albertus Maximus, owned by HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, has arrived safely in Dubai and is right on track to give owner and trainer Kiaran McLaughlin another win in the Emirates-sponsored race, following Invasor’s victory in 2007.

“I could not be happier,” McLaughlin said. “His last piece of work was outstanding and we come to Dubai in great shape. Obviously, it is never an easy race to win but we are there with a big shout.”

Mike De Kock’s Asiatic Boy looks the main danger as he bids to go one better than his second to Curlin 12 months ago.

De Kock, also set to be represented by 2008 UAE Derby winner Honour Devil, said: “Hopefully both will be spot on for the big race.

"Asiatic Boy’s preparation has gone a lot more smoothly we have to admit and we know everything suits him. He will run a big race.

“Honour Devil had a troubled campaign early on and we have been rushing with him but he is showing signs of being back near his best.”

One of the success stories of the 2009 Dubai International Racing Carnival has been the massive improvement shown by the Musabah Al Muhairi-trained Snaafy.

The local horse won all three of his starts for Sheikh Hamdan at the Carnival, including the Group 3 Burj Nahaar over 1600m last up.

Al Muhairi said: "He would not be there if I had any doubts over his ability. I am expecting him to run a big race.

"Snaafy can handle the extra distance (of 400m). He has the pedigree and the stamina and speed to run over this.

"He is not in the Dubai World Cup to make up the numbers. My horse is in excellent form and deserves a line up in the big race. I think he can win. I know no one is going to believe me, but let’s wait and we will find out on March 28.”

Local hopes also lie with Godolphin’s My Indy, winner of the first two legs of this year's Maktoum Challenge.

"He was working very well before the Carnival and we expected a big run in Maktoum Challenge Round 1," said trainer Saeed bin Suroor.

"He then progressed to win Round 2 and we decided to skip the third round to bring him to World Cup night fresh and well.

"He continues in great form and, if staying the extra furlong in this company, has to run a big race."

Cheers

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 pm